Thursday, April 27, 2017

Remembering School Rhymes

If you're old enough, you probably remember chanting rhymes on the playground at school, or around your neighborhood. Surely you kept rhythm while jumping rope with friends, "Bluebells, cockle shells, easy ivy, over..." Or, "Not last night but the night before, 24 robbers came knocking at my door..." I was reminded of one today (though not a jump rope rhyme) while making a card, and thought I'd see if you did too.

So-and-So and So-and-So
Sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes a baby in a baby carriage.

You know, and I know that you know that I know, you teased a friend or a sister with this rhyme, didn't you?!! Personally guilty as charged! So let's talk about kissing, shall we?

Not 'kissing,' but stamp kissing. It's an optional twist over at Time Out Challenge. Fooled you didn't I? Well...maybe not. I've used this technique before, and was thinking about using it again last week, but put it off for some reason. Funny how things work out, isn't it?! So I made a card with kissing. I used the sketch at CAS Colours and Sketches, and kept it clean and simple for Addicted to Stamps and More. One card, three challenges! 

Grab Our Badge!




Mine looks like this:


The leaf sprig and the flower stamps and dies are from MFT, and the sentiment is from Avery Elle. I found a scrap of a soft light green sitting on my desk, and how do you like that?, it matched!!! So I used it for the top border. I used an older AE set to kiss the solidly stamped sprig and bloom. The lighter inks are Fresh Ink, and the darker coral color is from LF. For the leaves, I just used the same ink as the base color, and stamped the stripes. Gave it a nice matchy-matchy look. Some enamel dots finish it off. And that's it for me. DH is getting hungry and I haven't even started dinner, lol! As always...


22 comments:

Jen Mitchell said...

Sometimes I forget all about these old techniques and then poof someone uses one and I get all nostalgic for them! The kissing one was always a great way to add an interesting design to a boring old solid image. Your flowers and leaves are beautiful and I love the little enamel dots too.

Aileen said...

Have to give this ago, I dont think I ever have and it does look so pretty. Wonderful card and yes I remember that rhyme very well.

sandie said...

Well you sure know how to kiss! This is a great example of this technique. I adore the soft colours and lovely arrangement of the flowers. So great you joined us at Time Out Challenges

Julie B said...

Very pretty, well done with the kissing technique.
Thanks for joining in with us over at ATSM. :)

Kylie said...

Looks like a match made in heaven! A fabulous card. :)

Geri said...

Love your prelude to 'kissing'...yep, remember that verse well. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Beautiful 'kissed' images. The soft colors are so pretty. Really loving the striped leaves!

lostinpaper said...

Stamp kissing always makes me nervous.... I always think I'm going to 'move' the stamp and muck it up lol. Yours is perfect, what a fun post!

Loll said...

I do remember all those rhymes you mention. That WAS a few years ago when I used to sing them, but I remember all the words like it was yesterday. How does the time go that fast??!! I wish I could still jump rope. :)

Beautiful kissed card Bev. Soft and delicate colours and kissed designs. Just perfect, my friend! xx

Bobby said...

I've never heard the robber one before, Bev, but I do know the others and probably a lot more if I stop to think about it. I love doing stamp kissing and even bought at set of 'Kissables' from Paper Smooches a long time ago. I guess it's time to drag them out. I love your card. It's so soft and pretty.

karen h said...

Pretty card! Love the colors. Great job with the sketch! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!

Lynn said...

Oh I remember this rhyme..and sang it several times! Your card is adorable. Fresh Inks are my new favorite inks. Love them and love your card. You know how much I love florals. Thanks so much for playing with us at Time Out!

Fiona Whitten said...

Love how you interpreted the sketch. Have to admit that I don't know that particular rhyme though but we had a similar version in the UK. Thanks for joining us on this weeks CC&S challenge.

Emily said...

Beautiful take on the sketch and I love the colours you have used and that super cute embossed scallop. Thanks for joining us this week at CC&S!

Hannelie said...

Fresh and amazing! Love it!

Beverley said...

So pretty and loving the soft colours. Great use of the sketch too and thanks so much for joining in at CC&S. Hugs Bev x

Patricia Hays said...

The kissing technique looks terrific in this lovely soft color scheme. Thanks so much for making CC&S part of your crafting time! :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Your kissing came out beautifully! The soft colors are so pretty!
Since I didn't grow up here I learned the above rhyme from a Calvin & Hobbes book! So that's what I think of when I see it! So fun!

Jill V said...

I love how you used the kissing technique to add some texture to the flowers and leaves - it really completes the design - a really pretty card! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out and doing the optional kissing option! Jill

Anita in France said...

Ha ... love your opening to this post, Bev ... only knew the last little ditty, which wasn't used where I grew up (I'm certain there were others!) but I've seen it in movies! You sure know how to kiss beautifully ... that single dotty bloom with the delicious striped leafy sprig is just a delight ... and so pretty with the dotted stitched scallops ... a CAS delight, my friend! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Hugs & bisous, Anita :)

Lisa Kind said...

Oh great! Now you have me singing that song in my head and it won't go away! LOL! Love your card and how you used the "kissing" technique! Thanks for taking the Time Out to play with us!

Jenny Colacicco said...

What a stunning card - I love the pastel and soft colours and it is so crisp and perfectly stamped. Thank you for joining us st Time Out Challenges. Jenny x

Nora Noll said...

What a soft and beautiful card!! Love the scallops at the top and your arrangement of the flower. Lovely design!!