Friday, April 10, 2015

Mmmmmm....Coffee!

Severe storms rolled over the Midwest last night. Tornado sirens sounded and thunder and lightening roared through the night skies. It was something to behold. By the time the storms reached our neighborhood, they'd begun to peter out. The cooler air by the lakeshore helped to diminish their power. I'm grateful that we suffered no damage, and pray for those who did. We had about an hours worth of sunshine today but the clouds are back, and rain-filled. I'll keep in mind how green things will be soon, and hopefully that will be enough to get me through the gloomier days.

You all know Keren Baker, right? Well, she's one incredible crafter, and is on the DT at Add a Little Dazzle. I've never been brave enough to play there, and I don't have any of the very cool Add a Little Dazzle Metal Sheets, but have been rather intrigued by them. Still, I really wanted to play, but didn't think I could without the product. Turns out I was wrong (imagine that!). So I made a card.

CHALLENGE #70 HAZEL AND RUBY MOOD BOARD

Here's their Mood Board. I'm pretty sure you'll see exactly what inspired me as soon as you see the card I made...



Practically a full copy of the upper right photo. I was drawn to the greens and the coffee (mmm....coffee....). Because our skies are gray, the photo isn't as nice as I'd like, and this is the umpty-umpth one. The base is Michaels white, with scraps of cream (appropriate), and two shades of green. The 'hello' is a shiny copper colored scrap and irl it's beautiful. It's also the closest I could come to some metally paper. The cup is from PS, and the die is a LF. A smidgen of washi down the right side just for funzies. I drew the 'steam' with a white marker. And that's about it. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Happy dances everyone!

21 comments:

lostinpaper said...

Loving the retro feel with this great colour combo and the CAS lines! So glad to hear you are safe and sound, Hugs x

Kim Heggins said...

Amazing card Miss Bev...I love the wonderful colors you choose and that edge with the black/gray edge, fabulous my sweet friend! Miss you lots!

Deepti said...

CAS beauty !! I like your writing style... It felt like I was reading a novel and you were describing some scene ;)

Bobby said...

You did a great job of recreating that section of the mood board, Bev.

Lisa Lara said...

I love this. I can see it in a frame.

Lynn said...

Fabulous...love the softness of the steam coming out of the coffee cup.

Anita in France said...

So happy you are safe and sound, Bev ... sending you some warm sunshine to brighten that gloomy weather! Brilliant card ... love the steam rising from that cup ... beaming over! Hugs and bisous, bisous, Anita :)

Brenda said...

The storm petered out by the time they got here too. I was grateful but praying for those you did suffer damage from them. Your card is so cool looking Bev. I knew from the mood board which you had decided to be inspired from. lol I love how your steam came out and I love that little bit of washi on the side. The color combo is fabulous as well. We finally have sunshine today (Sat) and it is a welcome sight!! Hugs, Brenda

Vicki Dutcher said...

So glad to see you joining in the challenge! Great inspired card - coffee is always a good choice! :) Thanks for joining in at DD!

~amy~ said...

I'm sooooo glad that you guys are okay. I can't even imagine..yikes...

I smell a winner...your card is absolutely perfect and it's funny, I didn't recognize that coffee cup until I read your post...just at a slight angle and it looks totally new to me...dontcha love that...or maybe it's because I haven't finished my first cup of coffee? Anywho's, your card = perfect.

Kara Lynne said...

I hope you're having the beautiful sunshine today (Saturday) that we're having! Taking a break from some spring cleaning. I love how you were inspired by focusing on the one corner of the board, great idea, and a wonderful card. I love the washi tape touch!

Cricutjunkie said...

Bev, Glad to hear the storm is passing. Being from sunny Calif, I would love a little rain without the tornado. I love the colors you choose for your card. Really nice and simple. TFS Traci

PiecesbyEmily said...

Beautiful CAS card, Bev! I really like your hand drawn 'steam' :)

Darnell said...

I'm glad to read that you are okay, Bevie. I got worried when you didn't answer my email. And so another spring starts in the Midwest and I pray it's not going to be harsh. I didn't see anything on the weather channel today, so I'm hoping all is well, sunny even for the weekend! You ended up doing a brilliant job with the mood board! Your coffee card looks delicious to me!! Miss you, missy! Hugs, Darnell

Tracey McNeely said...

How terrifying the threat of weather can be and those sirens, so glad that Mother Nature treated you kindly. So glad you played along at Add a Little Dazzle your card in fantastic!

Kylie said...

Sounds like a positively awesome storm. Glad it missed you and I do hope the damage caused to others isn't too severe.

Your card is super cute! As someone who doesn't drink coffee, I never think to use coffee stamps/dies, etc but they look AMAZING and so fun! Love this card!

Lee-Anne said...

Happy to hear you are ok! This is such a fabulous take on the mood board...well done! Thanks for playing the Dazzling Diva challenge! Hope to see you again next week, Bev!

Kate said...

Fab card Bev :) thanks for playing along at add a little dazzle.
Kate xx

cm said...

Oh my...your weather sounds downright scary! I can't even imagine the sound of tornado sirens, much less how you respond to hearing them! Wow! So glad to hear things abated somewhat by the time they reached your direction! I want you SAFE and SECURE always! Your coffee card: another charming creation! Friendly, inviting and yes, definitely a *mmmm...coffee* sparker! What a wonderful discovery with this challenge...winner, winner in my books!
Hug~c

maria f. said...

Sorry I hadn't been around for awhile. Glad to hear things are turning fun and family-filled as winter finally exits. This coffee card is boo yah! Love that hand-drawn steam. And the strip of striped PP is the icing on the... Coffee.

maria f. said...

Oh dear, seems my comment didn't appear. Now what did I say? First, sorry I haven't been around. Second, glad to hear winter is exiting and family-time is arriving. And this card? Fabulous. The steam! And the strip of striped PP! Absolutely coffee house perfect.