Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday running

No...not as in marathon training. Although I actually do walk at least a mile everyday, and try to get three in, it's the other kind of running I'm talking about. Errands. DH stopped driving over a year ago, and I've become, in addition to all the other wifely jobs, chauffeur as well. I don't mind, and I'm seriously not complaining. Today we're headed (after the usual morning errands) to Marquette University where one of his friends is giving a guest lecture. Nancy Unger is an historian specializing in the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, just like DH. They've met once before...at least I think so...and today I get to meet her. She's pretty funny and we have a fun little banter going concerning baseball; she's a Giants fan, I'm a Cubs fan, and I'm trying to teach her about hope and baseball. If you're not sure what I mean, it's that every year, Cub fans think "this is the year". We've done so for over one hundred years...the last time the Cubs won the World Series! After a short visit, we'll attend her lecture. So....not too much time for me in blogland today.

And just in case you're wondering when the heck the Gilded Age and Progressive Eras were, they run consecutively from about 1873 to 1920ish. Think Robber Barons, 'muckracking', and Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. I promise to stop now with the history lesson...

Now, onto the really important things! (Just don't tell DH that I think crafting is more important than the GA&PE!!)  Earlier this year, I watched as a new stamp company was launched, along with a great DT and blog. Reverse Confetti has a wonderful line of stamps, and while I haven't made any purchases yet, you can bet they are on my wish list, and I plan to rectify that situation soon. Very versatile stamps, and I urge you all to stop over and check them out. They also have a challenge....(imagine that?!!) and until the end of the year, you can play along without utilizing their brand of stamps. Thought I'd give it a try. This is the link to their challenge post. And this link will take you to their blog in general.

SFYTT_postgraphic


As I said earlier, I don't own any of their stamps as of yet, but I did want to play along. That being said, I opted not to use any stamps on the outside of this card. 


And you know me...if I can use a scrap or two, I do. Those are scraps of aqua, brown, polka dot, stripes, and chevrons. I cut the tag with my Cameo and added a silver eyelet sticker, then added a scrap of yellow ribbon. There are MME enamel dots, and the phrase, Rock star circle and multi-colored stickers are from Sn@p Studio by Simple Stories. And that's it. Happy dances everyone.



10 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Bev, your card is awesome and good for you doing so much walking! I really need to do more of it. I have been doing more of your kind of running lately and I am getting tired of it!

Bobby said...

It'a amazing what a bunch of scraps can lead to - one awesome card! I'm glad you explained the eras. I love history but know very little about it.

Ardyth said...

Great use of those fun colours and breaking up the word! Thanks also for expanding my historic knowledge. That's quite a specialty. And BTW, my hubby has never driven. Which puts me in control of the car. Which is exactly how I like it! lol!

Deepti said...

This is such a fun colorful card, love how nice you used the scraps :)

Geri said...

Honestly, thanks for the mini history lesson...I am dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to history, so I really do appreciate a learning opportunity!

Now, your card gives me the opportunity to say (in a really loud & big voice)...YOU'RE AWESOME!!! This is so well put together! Fabulous selection and mix of papers, perfectly placed elements and enamel "bling-?", sweet bow that really makes the yellows in the card pop! Loveit!

Anonymous said...

How you take a few 'scraps' and turn it into something so fabulous has me in awe, Bev ... I LOVE your treatment of the word and the colours with all the little details are so fantastic together! Anita :)

cm said...

Echoing Geri - thanks for sharing the history lesson! You are quite the amazing companion for that husband of yours!! Hope he spoils and pampers you excessively! Have you been reading my mind again?? Just the other day I was - as oft I do - admiring the RC blog, and 'thinking' about doing this very challenge. No RC in my collection (wishing, wishing....), but I agree with you 100% - the products look awesome and the DT creations are delightful. And speaking of delightful: your card is EXACTLY that! Love the magic you've worked here!! Heading home feeling inspired!!
c

jen del muro said...

This card is...AWESOME ;) Thanks for playing SFYTT!

Kim Heggins said...

You are too funny! Love reading your stories...they always make me smile. Thanks for the encouragement to play along too, so far I do not have any of their stamps but the Halloween ones are just begging to come to my home! Your card is fabulous by the way, love that tag and all the patterned paper too!

Kylie said...

Love a bit of history with my creativity (and I'm not being facetious - I often listen to history/archaeology lectures while I create). :) Love that you stumble across new things and just jump wholeheartedly into them. I hope hubby spoils you with some of this new line to thank you for being his taxi driver. :) Your card is so lovely. The colours are so great. They remind me of an old KI Memories line which I have tucked away and should really be playing with - thanks for the inspiration. I love that you are using your cameo. The tag looks great so does the "awesome". Your whole card is bright and happy and is just plain AWESOME!