Thursday, September 12, 2013

A couple of updates

Yesterday, and thus far today, I am YKW free!!! I'm so happy I could just dance...(sorry). I am seriously happy about that. Running out of rescue meds until next week, so it's really important that they go away for a while. That's the first thing. And as you may be aware, my sil, Marilyn has been battling stage 4 cancer. It's in her abdomen, wrapped around her omentum and involved her colon and a bit of her duodenum. It has also metastasized  to one of her kidneys and to her liver. Sounds bad, doesn't it? She's had two bowel resections, without a colostomy (thank goodness) done at the same time, and some serious chemo. The doctors are surprised...and while she's not completely cancer free, everything has ground to a halt. Her prognosis has been upgraded, and she's no longer considered imminently terminal!!! She describes her condition as like that of a diabetic patient. Her condition will need to be monitored for the rest of her life, but there is no longer the threat of a truncated life span!!!! I am so thankful. Very happy for her. Thanks for all your prayers and kind wishes. I know, with absolute certainty, that they have helped.

It finally felt right to make her a "get well" card, as opposed to a "thinking of you" card. So I did. And it fits nicely into two challenges. The first is Wednesday Stamp Club Sketch Challenge at My Favorite Things. I've used all MFT stamps, including a new one (freebie!!!woohoo). The second challenge is Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge, where we are to use either wet and/or dry embossing.

MFTWSC141

Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog

Debby Hughes created something special for this, and I'm not going to post it here because you should pop over to SSS and see her card, and all the other wonderful lovlies for your own self! I will show you mine, however...


Again, I apologize for the poor lighting. It seems that no matter what I did, it didn't come out like I wanted...crap! Anyhoo...The cute little nurse, and the polka dots are both MFT stamps. I stamped an apron on a dp scrap, fussy cut it, and slipped it under her clipboard. I colored the rest of her with Copics (how'd I do Kylie?!). I made my own red cross badge my own darn self with my Cameo (big step for a beginner!), and cut the bandaid out too. I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder on the red (in tribute to Arielle!), and added three MME enamel dots in the corner. I think that's all...And so, with that, happy dances everyone.

13 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is so sweet! I'm sure she'll love it!

Ardyth said...

What great news! It just goes to show that you never know what's around the corner, even when you (and experts) think you do! I love your bright cheerful card, too (and the fact that you're feeling great and dancing around!)

Anonymous said...

Happy dancing with you my friend, for the lack of YKW and for such wonderful news for Marilyn ... thanks be. Your sweet card is bound to raise a smile ... cute little apron and great detailing with the stamping/embossing ... fabulous! Anita :)

Bobby said...

So glad that Marilyn's health has improved. There is definitely power in prayer. And there is power in laughter and smiling which I am sure she will do when she sees your delightful card.

Karen Motz said...

Love the paper piecing and the big red cross!!!

cm said...

A rousing happy dance happening in my house with the news you've shared about Marilyn! How powerful prayer is! Your card is delightful on so many levels - fabulous images and most important, created for a most marvelous reason! Thoughtful and heartwarming! Love it! And another happy dance about the YKWs not appearing. Yayyyy!!
c

Kristie Goulet said...

This is great news all around! Great card too!

Geri said...

Marilyn's great news is so nice to hear. Carol is right - the power of prayer heals. This is the perfect time for a get well card and what better way to pass on your wishes than with this beyond cute card! The awesome band-aid in the corner and the red cross has scored you 100% on your Cameo test!

A sweet, sweet card that will make her smile!

Kim Heggins said...

That is wonderful news about Marilyn, just amazing! This is one fabulous get well card too and I am sure Marilyn will love it. Who would not get well with such a sweet card.

Hannelie said...

This card is awesome!
Job well done!!!

Kylie said...

Ooooh, Bev, what amazing and wonderful news about Marilyn!! You must all be so thrilled. :)

The card you have made for her is so super cute. Your colouring is top notch! :) In fact, you make me want to pull out the copics and have a colour too. :)

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card Bev, the image is adorable and the embossing looks fab.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs
Mandy xx

Kim S said...

I am so hoping you are still feeling good - but it's been a few days since you have posted so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Prayers go out to your SIL. I love the cheerful card - it has to bring a smile!