Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What a difference a day makes...

Tuesday saw the new Cue card over at CASology. "Free", not as in 'anything goes' for submissions, rather, what does free mean to each of us. My first (and really, only) thought was the freedom that Christ gives us. We are free from sin and guilt, pain and death, free from the power of hell. This gift was freely given, just because he loves us. His life for mine. That concept is nearly incomprehensible to me. But if I think about it in the most simple terms, I can at least grab hold of it. Christ made me free with his death and resurrection. So that's what I think of when I think of "free". Other sorts of freedom are important, but for me, this is what stands out most of all under the term 'free'.

But how to make a card which represents what I feel? Empty tomb? White cloth on an empty cross? "Jesus rays" coming out of clouds? So I mulled this over yesterday, in between trying to come up with a better card for the Muse challenge. Then this morning, one gigantic PING. Everything gelled, everything worked, the whole card just put itself together!



See what you think of my concept:




Here's what I used: 
Bazzill gray for the base, onto which I printed a computer generated font for the sentiment, white Bazzill for the fussy cut dove, and I used an Avery Elle stamp for the 'light' coming from behind the dove. I fussy cut a mask, stamped with Color Box yellow ink, removed the mask and then used pop dots on the final dove. Very easy. Happy dances everyone.

23 comments:

Darnell said...

Your simple and lovely card evokes ALL that you were hoping it would, Bev! It's a touch magical, too, with the "light" coming from behind the dove!

Deepti said...

The expression of light from the background is mind blowing :) adds a lot of depth n character to the focal image :). Love it

Anonymous said...

A truly beautiful card that conveys perfectly His gift to us ... so eloquently put in your post, Bev! Don't quite know how you did it, but the rays behind the dove really do shine out! Stunning! Anita :)

Ardyth said...

That light behind the dove really takes this card from lovely to WOW! Thank so much for playing along with us at CASology this week!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Yes, the light is a crowning glory, if I may say so!! The dove ethereal, Winner, in my book, just love it! It is light yet somber at the same time, brilliant!!

Bobby said...

Bev, this is beautiful in the most spiritual way. It reminds me of the show "Touched by an Angel" where the dove was always brightly highlighted. The sentiment is perfect and if this isn't a winner it should be.

Kim Heggins said...

Gorgeous card Bev!!! Simply beautiful way to look at the word free, it gave me goosebumps while reading your post, very nicely done!

Kelly Griglione said...

You really must be quite proud of this one, Bev! It's simply stunning!! The words behind it, the subtle rays, the white on the gray, it's all just perfect!

Geri said...

Winner! Absolutely a slam dunk winner!

The rays of light behind the dove are amazing! The dove is amazing! The colors that you used are amazing! The fussy cutting is amazing!

I'm sure by now you know that I think your card is Amazing, right?

Kylie said...

Simply beautiful! :)

Hannelie said...

Bev this is just beyond words... powerful scripture put into a picture.
WOW!

Kristie Goulet said...

Perfect card for the cue word! LOVE it!

Kim S said...

Gorgeous! Such a simple card that totally captures our freedom through Christ!

Keren Baker said...

What an effective card. I agree with you entirely. How can we put into a card what freedom in Christ really means- and yet you've captured so much of it! Have a super weekend x

Judy1223 said...

Bev, your card has accomplished exactly what you set out to express, and it has done so beautifully! I love the white dove against kraft, and the rays of light are amazing. Gorgeous CAS card! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

cm said...

Your post and your card have touched me deeply! Thanks for sharing your beliefs in words; thanks for sharing your beliefs in images; thanks for sharing your beliefs...and reminding me about mine! Heart-warming, thoughtful, genuine, beautiful! Thank you, my friend, thank you!
c

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Bev, everything else has already been said, but I think your post has touched many, in many ways :) Cathy x

Rosemary said...

this has to be one of the most meaningful takes on a cue word that I have ever seen, bev! absolutely outstanding in every way!! thanks so much for sharing this amazing card with us at CASology!

cm said...

Yayyy...your gorgeous card is a CASology HM! Fantastic! Happy for you on a win well-deserved!
c

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo, Bev ... knew this totally breathtaking and outstanding card would be deserving of something special ... congratulations my friend on your HM at CASology ... happy dancing for you! Anita :)

Ginny Maxam said...

Hello Bev, I love your post, what an awesome revelation to share with the world! Your card is very beautiful too!
Ginny M
www.maxammade.blogspot.com

Bobby said...

I knew this would be a winning entry. Congrats on the HM on CASology. I said it once but I'll say it again, It's absolutely touching.

Darnell said...

Popping back to congratulate you on the well-deserved HM honor from CASology!!