Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Present....Not So Much....

This year, DH and I are giving each other a BRAND NEW FURNACE for Christmas. Actually, it's already been installed. Whoop-dee-doo. I know, I know, newer furnace equals lower energy bills, a warmer and quieter house, and it's a good selling point for the future, however, it came at a really, really bad time of year. Oh, and did I mention that we have 20 grandchildren????!!!!! But it could have been tons worse; the problem could have gone undetected and we could have been ill or dead with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. No stress here! Yikes. And poop. And *sigh*.

I imagine that we're all busy with pretty much the same things. Baking, shopping, decorating, wrapping, mailing, and all the chores, delights, and activities associated with Christmas. Tomorrow is put up the tree day for me. And onto other fun, seasonal things.

"Cards?", you ask. You betcha. Just two. One for a birthday, one for a college graduation. Son and grandson. Wanna see? Good. Let's get to this. First up is the birthday card. I used the sketch from The Challenge, which was perfect! My card practically made itself! Thanks Lesley.


My take:


Gold, white, and two kraft colors. Lots of scraps except for that delectable vellum which was gifted to me by Geri, thanks pal!! All MFT dies but the 'happy,' which is from MB. Sure hope you play along. This was one inspirational sketch! 

This next card will go into the Addicted to Stamps and More Challenge. Sure hope this fits the CAS bill....

I'm going to show you the outside first, and then the inside because I LOVE this card. Will tell you the story after the photos...



"The End" and "The Beginning" are from a 6x6 pad which came in a card kit from Studio Calico. So is the loooong card base. I added a stenciled arrow and made my own print and cut file with my Cameo for the 'congrats.' One scrap of black on the front too - I wanted to add a bold color next to that gorgeous blue. I wish you could see this irl; it's way cooler than it looks here. This SC card kit was from June, and was on super, super sale. It also came with ink, a 4x6 stamp set, twine, more card bases, a full 6x6 paper pad, and tags. It arrived right in time for me to get this card made. 

One more thing before I head off today. Those of you who know me, know that I have a large and pretty darn wonderful family. One of my darling granddaughters, Melissa, is raising funds to help her pursue her dream of continuing in her music. She's a natural-born talent. Not just saying that, it's just true. Brilliant drummer. Absolutely brilliant. When she's not on a drumline, she's studying as a junior at the University of Wisconsin, working, and teaching others. If you're interested in making a purchase to support her endeavors in music, you won't be disappointed; reasonably priced gifts, including photographic prints of birds, butterflies, and the Windpoint Lighthouse. Here's the link:



Do stop by; she's the prettiest one on the drumline!

And happy dances everyone.


19 comments:

Marybeth said...

It's just the way it goes, something big in the house or car always breaks down right before Christmas.......I was once told be grateful you can replace it! :) You had me LOL again...I know some say hahaha I did both!
What a neat card and fun inside. Off to go see that pretty GD .

Aileen said...

Nice cards, you did well on both. Nothing like the big Christmas 'lets get this together from both of us' gift. It sucks but hopefully it will be better later. 20 grandchildren, you lucky duck. So many cuddles and kisses, I have five grandkids and I just cant get enough of those cuddles and kisses especially as you need to get them before they start getting less cuddly and more 'comeon nan not in public'. Do they all come see you at Christmas? Wow what a houseful. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Bev.

Tracey McNeely said...

Hey Bev! So sorry that the furnace bit the dust but also happy that you have a new one. Two years ago the gas company was in for their annual inspection and there was a problem with the heat exchanger and they shut our furnace off! It was at the end of the summer and the timing could not have been worse! So the new owners of our old house got a new furnace and thankfully our new house just had a new furnace but in. Of the joys of repairs!! We buy gifts like that for each other all the time! Now enjoy getting into high gear for Christmas, I am doing the same. Fighting off a YKW tonight--fingers crossed!

Tracey McNeely said...

...I guess I should finish why I came in the first place. Love your cards and the paper in fantastic!! Good for your granddaughter--I hope she is very successful in her pursuit of music!

Susanne Vargas said...

What a romantic gift you are giving each other - it will keep you warm (and alive)!
Your cards are totally awesome! The first one is a perfect male card, love the tone-in-tone. And the graduation card is super modern and graphic and perfect for a guy!
Off to check out your granddaughters website...

~amy~ said...

Boo to the furnace but I'm so glad that everyone is okay. That's some scary stuff.

Lovin' both of your cards...very fabulous.

Thanks for sharing the fundraiser link for your granddaughter...awesome gifties!

I Card Everyone said...

LOve your grandson's card, Bev ... you are such a proud Grandma, and rightly so! Thanks for playing cards - a lovely one indeed - at The Challenge, too!!!
=]

Leigh Penner said...

Did you get your tree up? We did ours in November this year. I normally wait for December, but a look at our calendar told me that we wouldn't be able to squeeze it in.... at least in one way, I've felt on top of the game this year, so that's something...
Wonderful cards, Bev! I really love the second one -- so clever!

Geri said...

A furnace!!! Wow! Lucky girl....

I'd bet that 99.9% of us reading this would all be nodding in agreement that although it's not as glamorous (or sparkly) as some bejewelled bling, it will keep you warm and safe! The diamonds will just have to wait until next year!

Two AMAZING cards! The first one is so masculine-ly awesome. The velum looks cool (my sheets remain untouched!).

2nd card - WOW x a bazillion (yep, that's the highest number in the world). Off the charts with cleverness & creativity. Seriously awesome!

Now I'm off to check Melissa's "Gold Star Jars" blog (great name!)

Nora Noll said...

Oh I am so sorry about your furnace!! Doesn't it always happen when we least want it to go? Not a glamorous purchase but you need it to keep warm and have hot water!!

LOVE your cards. The first one the colors are very pretty. I ADORE the cleverness of the second. You rocked that paper!!

Bobby said...

Sorry about the big expense just before the holidays, Bev, but a bad furnace is nothing to play around with. Your cards are terrific. I love the graduation one, such a perfect sentiment. Your granddaughter is a woman after my own heart. I used to be a drummer so many, many years ago although I never made it to her level. Have a happy, and now safe, holiday gathering with your wonderful family.

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow these are such fun creations!! Love that "the end" card!! Perfectly fun and CAS...I love it! :) Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Addicted to Stamps & More! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my Miss Bev...I know just how you feel. My car of nearly 20 died and the repairs would cost way more that it is worth, so with that being said I have a new car and it is bad timing with the holidays here. But on the bright side my daughter finished college and no more tuition payments. But I between the two of us we have plenty of supplies to hold us over for some time. LOL
Anyway sorry to ramble on...your cards are wonderful and wishing you a fabulous and warm weekend!

Anita in France said...

Sorry Bev ... had to smile at you buying one another a new furnace ... reminds me of here (plasterboard, stone, timber, tiles, woodburner ...)! You'll be so pleased you did when you're warm and toasty indoors during the winter ... cosy crafting is so much better thaan chilly crafting! Cool cards, my sweet friend ... brilliant gold with the kraft ... and oh my, the end/beginning is fantastic ... gallery like! Off to check out Melissa's link! Miss you heaps ... hugs & bisous, Anita :)

cm said...

Your new furnace sounds about as romantic as some of the gifts my husband and I are *giving* one another...baseboards, paint, new lights...all of which are 'supposed' to happen in the spring/summer. Actually, I have 'plotted and schemed' a real gift for him...not necessarily romantic but because it's kinda sorta bike-linked, hopefully he'll be pleased! The peace of mind (and, obviously the warmth) that will come with a new furnace is priceless! Your cards are another duo of delight; the gold and kraft is so handsome, and the end/beginning very cool! Applauding Melissa's initiative and creativity; she's a go-getter (must take after YOU!)...
Hugs and love and missing~c

Monika Reeck said...

Bev beautiful card ...glad you share with us at ATSM this week...I write on smartphone :) hope you are doing well..big hugs..Monika (DT ATSM)

Martha said...

Bev, I love your cards!
Fabulous take on the sketch--love the kraft/white/gold combination.
And, what a FUN second card--bold & beautiful.

Kim S said...

Good for you for seeing the positives in the furnace because it could definitely have been worse. I live in fear of our 50-year old furnace going out because nothing in the room it is in would pass inspection and it would be virtually impossible to upgrade.

LOVE your "happy" card - so many great patterns and textures behind the golden "happy"! Your end and beginning card is fabulous - what a great use of paper and I love the black accents you have added!

Kylie said...

Well that is a big poop just before Christmas but you are right, better than the alternatives. 20 grandchildren - how blessed you are! :)