Saturday, April 10, 2021

Twofer Challenge #37

So here we are in April already. How did that happen?! Even though I'm pretty much at home, time still flies like mad. Since last year, a couple of the grandgirls and I have been making cards and writing letters back and forth. Another granddaughter and I started writing a story in January. We take turns adding a few paragraphs or pages, and both of us eagerly anticipate seeing the newly added material. The excitement is like what readers must have felt in the Victorian period when Charles Dickens was serializing such works as the Pickwick Papers. And still other grandkids and I have been utilizing FaceTime to stay in regular contact amid the pandemic. So while I may not be traveling or off shopping and dining out, I manage to keep myself busy.

I have to admit that my card making mojo is extremely sporadic, and that my motivation has been hard hit since John passed. I've put that down to finding a regular routine for everyday life. It's starting to come along, but I know it will take time to bounce back. I am always, always inspired by The Twofer Challenge, however! This month is no exception. Our prompt is:



Leaves just might be my most favorite stamp/die to buy in the history of me. There's just something 'right' about them. But that's just me... Here is a photo of my cards together:


And individually:




For the birthday card, which went to one of my sons, I used some lovely gray textured cardstock that I'd been hoarding saving as my base. A strip of striped patterned paper, also (oh who am I kidding?!!) hoarded, secured down the left side. An oldie, but one of my most love Paper Smooches leaves die in a rich, dark gray was tucked behind the sentiment panel. That's a Hero Arts sentiment. So easy, but it's a design I like and may go back to for some of the other sons' cards this year. 

This sympathy card went out to my cousin who lost his wife to Alzheimers Disease early this year. For the base and the leaves, I used a very soft gray, and cut the card front with an RC die. Those are the same PS leaves as used on my birthday card. The sentiment is also from RC, and the patterned paper is from my scrap files. 

For me, this particular Twofer wasn't terribly difficult, so I hope you'll find this easy-going too. You'll want to stop by and see what the rest of the team, and our Guest Designers Alison and Natalie have created at The Twofer Challenge blog. Hope to see you in the gallery, and as always...


17 comments:

Anita in France said...

Oh my, you've used those delicious greys to perfection, Bev! That first card is cool, stylish and wonderfully masculine (in a James Bond sort of a way) ... and the second with the chic, framed pp and supplementary leaves, is elegant and serene, just right for expressing condolence. I hear you on sporadic mojo ... loud and clear ... me too! Miss you, sweet friend! Big hugs and bisous, Anita :)

Natalie said...

A lovely pair of cards for this month's Twofer challenge. I really like the CAS of both designs. A simple leaf sprig can be so effective. No wonder they are a favourite in your collection. I'm so happy to be joining the team this month. (@natshobbycorner)

AlisonC said...

These are just beautiful and shows how stunning monochrome cards can be. I love the use the the patterned paper in the frame. How lovely that you can keep in touch with your grandchildren in those special ways. x

Darnell said...

Your Twofer monochromatic designs are just lovely for their intended recipients, Bevie! I love that you show how the leaves we love so much can come in any color or any neutral and be beautiful! And good job using your precious hoarded papers! You inspire me! I also loved reading about how you stayed connected with your grandchildren during the pandemic! Love and hugs, Darnell

Loll said...

Both your cards are beautiful Bev. I LOVE your CAS design for the masculine birthday card. It's so classy looking done in gray tones. I bet your son loved his card! The sympathy card is amazing. I love the design with the pretty gray patterned square. Adding the white die-cut leaves to the bottom adds lots of interest and texture. Great work, Bev!! xx

lostinpaper said...

Both are very elegant designs Bev, love the tone on tone! ps when your book is published can we share!

oldpunca said...

Oh my, Bev! This is CAS perfection in grey! Both of your cards are very elegant. I like the striped edge you added to the first card and delicate patterned central point on the second card. The leaves die you've used on both cards is beautiful. I'm wondering too, how it is possible that it is already April. :-) Hugs, Sonja

Marcia Hill said...

Both of your monochromatic gray cards are absolutely FABULOUS Bev and I know someone else who is going to LOVE them when she sees her favorite color in action!! Your birthday card with the textured gray hoarded (it's OK to use that word my friend!!) cardstock is CAS perfection with the added die cut leaf and strip of striped dsp...love it!! And your sympathy card is absolutely beautiful Bev...I love every single little detail you added on this card!! I also loved hearing how you stay connected with all the grandkids...writing the stories especially!! I've had both my shots now and will be good to go this coming Wednesday, so we're planning to head up north to see the grandbabies on Saturday and I absolutely can NOT wait!! Maddy was 7 months old yesterday and I haven't seen her since she was 5 weeks old! I'm told that anyone who smiles at her will have their cheeks grabbed with her little hands as she plants a wet smooch on your lips...I can hardly wait!! Take care my friend. Big hugs!!! :0)

Cat Craig said...

Oh these are both brilliant Bev. Love the monochromatic palette and those are some fabulous leaf dies.

Bonnie said...

Two fantastic cards, Bev! Your hoarded cardstock and paper were just perfect for making this fantastic masculine card! What a pretty panel in the frame that goes perfectly with the leaves and a beautiful sentiment! I think your mojo is just fine and I can see that you are a wonderful inspiration to your grandkids.

Brenda said...

I don't go anywhere either Bev and the days just fly by as well as the months. It's mind boggling for sure. Sounds like you are having lots of fun with the grands despite Covid! I love the story writing, that sounds like lots of fun and of course the card making, even just the facetime's sound like so much fun with the grands. Love that you are having these good times with them during this crappy pandemic. Bev, your cards are stunning and so calming! The birthday card is just amazing, great for a masculine birthday but think it would work for a woman too. So elegant, so gorgeous. The sympathy card, well just wow! It is calming, elegant and again gorgeous. I love the beautiful paper in the "window", the leaves in white are perfect. I will have to try and CASe these two because I'm so in love with them! Take care my sweet friend! Hugs, Brenda

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my I love the grey's that you used Bev. These are so elegant and the first is perfectly masculine for your son! Guys are tough to make cards for!

TK said...

Amazing, Bev! These are so beautiful, and you've used that leaf wonderfully

Bobby said...

I immediately thought masculine card when I saw your birthday creation, Bev. I love the design and may have to CASE it. The sympathy card is lovely and perfect for the occasion. I think Mojo is sneaking up on you. These are both wonderful cards. So glad you are able to keep in touch through FT and letter writing, a lost art. Now that I'm in Ohio I'm fortunate that my great grands are nearby and I can see them often.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such beautiful cards with that leafy sprig, Bev - love them both!! How fun to exchange a continuing letter - what a great idea!!

Brenda in IN said...

You say hoarding like it's a bad thing! I do it too. It's hard to cut into gorgeous paper like that gray and white. The cards are great. A wonderful masculine card and a soft, lovely sympathy card. Any leaf is a good leaf to me, same with trees. I understand about a routine. Caregiving takes up your whole life at the time and it leaves a big hole when it's over. It took me a while to structure my day and get back in a routine to get things done. It will come.

Vicky Hayes said...

Don't ask me how April happened Bev! It just kind of crept up behind us all sneaky-like! I loved reading about how you and your family have been keeping in touch, just lovely. And yes, that mojo can be a pesky old fella too, especially during these strange times and of course for you trying to regain your equilibrium after your husband passed. Your cards are both beautiful. I love the elegance of your greys and the way you've used your leaves - very inspiring! Sending hugs, Vicky x